How To Properly Install Your ScaleBuster
An analysis of the water should preferably be submitted when proposing to use the ION ScaleBuster with industrial or well water. The use of the ScaleBuster with water at a temperature over 140°F (60°C) is not always desirable. Please consult your distributor if you intend to install the ScaleBuster in a system of piping with water temperatures over 140°F (60°C) or where the values of the ‘drinking water directive’ (TVO-conductivity and/or pH values) are exceeded. There should be no significant variation in the water quality or operating conditions during usage.
The ION ScaleBuster
The ION ScaleBuster is physical device for inline installations only and must be kept wet once usage commences.
The pressure drop with proper use of the ScaleBuster is minimal. It should be noted that the flow rate of the chosen ScaleBuster should be at or above the nominal flow rate of the connected water system but below maximum flow rate as noted on the specification of the specific model. Due to the symmetrical construction of the ScaleBuster, the direction of the water flow can be from either end of the device. The model and size of ScaleBuster to be selected should be determined by the maximum flow rate demand in the system of installation. In residential, the size of the water meter will typically determine the size of the ScaleBuster.
It is recommended that a company specialising in this field should install the ScaleBuster. Depending on the length and model of the device selected, a section of the piping should be removed, two compatible coupling connections installed properly and then the ScaleBuster installed.
The ScaleBuster should be installed preferably vertically and upstream of a filter, if present, or the pressure booster station.
When installing the ScaleBuster in a stainless, black or galvanized steel or copper piping system the device must be electrically bridged using suitable bonding wire. When installing the ScaleBuster in a plastic piping system pieces of piping of a metallic nature at least the length of the ScaleBuster must be inserted into the pipeline before and after the ION ScaleBuster. In these cases a grounding wire must be connected to a physical grounding point.
The ScaleBuster should be installed as close as possible to the individual pieces of equipment to ensure their protection (e.g. heat exchangers, pumps etc.).
NOTE: The Teflon tape (or liquid) doesn’t create a seal, it reduces friction so you can tighten more with the same turning force.
These are the recommended torque for the threaded ScaleBuster models:
|½” (all models)||65 Nm (+/- 10%)|
|¾” (all models)||90 Nm (+/- 10%)|
|1”||150 Nm (+/- 10%)|
|1-1/4”||240 Nm (+/- 10%)|
|1-1/2”||290 Nm (+/- 10%)|
|2”||305 Nm (+/- 10%)|
Central Warm Water Processing with a Circular Flow System
If the heating equipment, which is being protected by ION ScaleBuster, also contains a warm water circulation loop, an additional ScaleBuster, should be incorporated in the pipe work of the loop to provide protection against scale and corrosion. This ensures efficient after-treatment and enables the whole system to be protected. In case the system has multiple loops, each and every one should be equipped with one ScaleBuster.
Additional Information about the Flanges ION ScaleBuster
(all E models above DN50 or U models above 2”)To ensure the correct installation of the flanged device, only proper standard flange seals (DN for ION ScaleBuster E models, ASME/ANSI gaskets for ION ScaleBuster U models) should be used. If the gaskets are damaged or lost during installation, new proper standard gaskets should be obtained. Further, the bolts must be secured using washers with spring rings (supplied). If these requirements are disregarded, the guarantee of the device in connection with the warranties will be null and void.
The flanged devices have indicator strips between the device and the flange. The warranty becomes void if one or both of the strips are damaged either through rotation of the flange thus causing leaks or due to levering or some similar activity. Under no circumstances should the ScaleBuster be pulled apart using attachment bolts to make the device fit!
If a fine filter is present then the ION ScaleBuster should always be installed downstream of the fine filter – even in a circulation flow system. It is recommended that a fine filter should be installed upstream of the ScaleBuster if there are problems with debris due to bad corrosion etc.
Electrical Earth Bonding
Electrical earth bonding (grounding) is essential to enhance the performance of ION ScaleBuster in addition to providing a safe continuity of earth bonding for other purposes. When plastic pipes are used be sure to bond the actual ScaleBuster to a grounding point (earth) to achieve an effective earth (ground). See Schematics for guidance on grounding.
For a successful Installation of the ION ScaleBuster
- If in doubt use a qualified installer (Check with your local ScaleBuster distributor).
- Install with the correct flanges and gaskets for the particular installation.
- Care must be taken to ensure that connecting joints requiring applied heat (Welding/soldering) must not be used in the vicinity of the ScaleBuster because the conducted heat will damage the unit’s interior, causing possible failure of the ION ScaleBuster.
- Check the orientation of the installation flanges on the pipeline is correct so as not to cause Radial Displacement of the flanges or other stresses.
- The water pressure must not be above the Max. Pressure on the ScaleBuster label (i.e., Threaded units: 145 psi (U models), 10 bar (E models); Flanged units: 150 psi or 300 psi (U models), 16 bar or 40 bar (E models). If in doubt check with your ScaleBuster distributor.
- The temperature of the water should not be higher than 140°F (60°C) for optimum performance.
- ScaleBuster will work slightly more efficiently when installed vertically.
- Always earth / earth bridge across the ScaleBuster making sure a good earth (ground) connection is achieved.
- ScaleBuster is designed for the use with potable water as well as industrial purposes.
- Ion ScaleBuster is best installed in the cold water feed supply lines. In certain instances, such as central heating, hot water returns and cooling towers, ScaleBuster should be installed in the cool end of the recirculating system, if possible.
- Check that you have a genuine ION ScaleBuster – it should carry the ISB Hologram on the label.
- Register your new ScaleBuster with the serial number (see label), invoice number and date on www.scalebuster.com. The warranty becomes void if you fail to register within 30 days from the date of the invoice.